Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Ahhh

I love the holidays, but I got to admit it feels so good to be back to our regular routine.  Perhaps my sugar bear will actually get a good nap in.  He's napping now and the house is quiet.  Unlike the last 2 weeks.  We had my stepdaughter, her boyfriend, and her 2 year old staying with us.  It was rarely ever quiet.  Except when the whole lot of them were sleeping.  But then I couldn't sew, because my machine and notions were in the room that the boyfriend was staying in.  I did a lot of blog hopping.  My goodness a lot of you were very busy and got a lot of quilting done.  Wow.  Prior to the family visiting I did manage to get a few quilty Christmas gifts completed.  I gave my sister the pot holders from my previous post, and a christmas pillow (following this tutorial).  
Pot holders.
Tree pillow.  I quilted it all by myself (this is a big accomplishment for me).

My sister had the perfect reaction.  She told me how the pot holders were in her "dream" colors, like some fabric she picked up in Africa, and she cried when she saw the pillow.  I love her for that.  Makes me realize that I need to make a quilt for her.  She would appreciate it.  I usually don't get such a profound reaction when I give a quilt, which is fine.  I think I would be scared if everyone cried when I gave them a quilt or other handmade gift.  But, it is sometimes so nice to get that OMG reaction.

My sister with the pillow.
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad your able to get back to quilting! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristy, you obviously haven't blogged here for a while but you kindly came over to my blog recently and left a comment with a question about growing veggies in bags. I say recently, but it was quite a while back now, sorry it's taken me ages to get back to you. and since I don't suppose you'll bother to check back to see if I've replied there, I thought I'd try here too just in case you're still notified of comments, and I might go and see if you have an e-mail box on your blog too! Anyway, here's my reply about the veggies if you're still interested:
    Hi Kristy, sorry it's taken me ages to get around to answering this. Yes, I find the soil is deep enough, but also I made a few holes in the bottom of the bags so the roots could find their way out if they wanted. I was inspired to give it a go in this situation by this post - https://familyfaithfoodfabric.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/around-our-home/, which I referred back to in a previous post. Yanic is an amazing gardener and she made the plan sound very doable. But I think we're maybe more used to growing from bags generally here in the UK, it's very commonly done in greenhouses or on patios for things like tomatoes or cucumbers, you can buy 'grow bags' cheaply specifically for this. It's definitely worked well in the veggie patch for me this year too, just so much more practical when starting off a new bed than having to fill the whole thing from scratch. We'll empty out the bags into the beds at the end of the season and then top them up next year probably and sow directly into the beds rather than going with bags there again. But I have 2 more new beds planned for next year and I'll definitely be starting them off with the bags again. Hope that makes sense!
    And by the way, I really hope you're still doing some quilting, I just read back through your posts and wished you'd written more! And I love your hedgehog quilt, gorgeous colour combinations in it.

    ReplyDelete