Wednesday, November 9, 2011

W.I.P. Wednesday #1

Now for the unfinished business.  I have a few works in progress, so I'm joining W.I.P. Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced.  I don't have many, since I have had as hard of a time starting a quilt as finishing one.


Here is my list:

Cheryl and Steven's wedding quilt.  They married in 2004.  I've completed 4 applique blocks.  Why did I think it would be a good idea to try hand applique for the first time with that one?  I. Really. Dislike. Hand. Applique.  Or at least I did.  I started working on it again a couple of months ago.  I decided hand applique was not all bad.  However I'm not so happy with my color choices.  Now I don't know if I want to start all over or trudge through with what I've got.

Charles Rennie Mackintosh Rose
Random swirling pinwheel thing.  I made a block in a quilt class to learn a new technique.  That was maybe 3 years ago.  I don't remember the technique I supposedly learned.  This will most likely stay as is.  Or become a pillow.


Hedgehog baby quilt.  The top is finished.


Little Apples baby quilt.  The top is finished.  (Oh, Fransson! pattern).


Green and Blue premie quilt for the local hospital's NICU.  Cut, and begun piecing.




Even scarier than listing my W.I.P.s is the fact that now I've put my blog out there.   Heck, I haven't even told my mom, husband or friends about it.  I'm new to this so be kind.

23 comments:

  1. Wow, those are some intricate blocks. Just lovely.

    I also like the others, the Little Apples (big fan!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your hand applique is beautiful! Great job!

    Mary
    http://www.quiltgenius.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, welcome to Blogland! Are these all the WIPs you have? If so, there is no reason at ALL for embarassment. ;D If you want to feel better about your own list, just go check out my place. I've been sewing/quilting off and on for 26 years. Back in January I went through every single crevice in the house and collected every UFO I could find. I included quilts my daughters had worked on and not finished, and there were 2 boxes of my cousin's most important WIPs (she died at 46yo, and I saved her WIPs before her grief-crazed hubby literally threw everything out from the sewing room). There were FORTY-FIVE!!! I had a good summer at chipping away at them. Now there are 33, I think. Soon to be 32. Here's my place: whatahootquilts.blogspot.com

    Anyway, I love the block for the wedding quilt you're working on. The colors are rich and almost royal. And they'll lend themselves well to Christmastime decor, even! I wouldn't ditch them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great stuff you've got going on! The wedding quilt w/the hand appliqued rose...reminds me of Cardinal and Gold - USC colors! at the Rose Bowl, maybe a wall hanging will do ;-). Love the fancy pinwheel block. Keep at it...one goal at a time. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That random swirling pinwheel thing is AWEsome!! What a unique block! Nothing wrong with being new, we all have to start somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha, I started my blog last January, and I've only recently started telling my family & real life friends I have one :) I think your swirly thingy would make a great pillow, and your hedgehog quilt is lovely. all your stuff is, really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such talent!! That rose is so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your little hedgehog quilt, those fabrics are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome! I just started blogging last year. I love your hexagon swirly thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are seriously wow! I haven`t seen a swirling pinwheel before - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have some lovely projects on the go, I look forward to seeing them progress. The applique rose is beautiful, I have not tried hand applique yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have made some very difficult blocks and they are beautiful. I've been intending to learn hand applique as well but keep putting it off...

    ReplyDelete
  13. omgosh those hedgehogs are soooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the hedgehogs and little apples, but that swirl block is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's nothing to worry about - people are lovely out here, I assure you!

    I know the feeling of being late with quilts: my sisters waited seven years to get their 21st Birthday quilts, and my Mum is coming up on 7 years to get her wedding quilt!

    But yours is lovely - and I think the hand-applique is a really nice personal touch! Keep going with it - it'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! you have so much going.
    Most of mine is yet in my head. I do hope tomorrow to get my tables up and find backs for my table runner and quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love what you have going on. I am one of your newest followers. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goodness that swirling pinwheel looks amazing and complicated -- it will make a cute pillow. And that hedgehog quilt just makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the pinwheel. I'm guessing you were learning curves?

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a pretty kaleidoscope pinwheel block. Looks complicated but worth it in the end! : ) Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hedgehogs! And Little Apples! I really love both of the hedgehog prints.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh the hedgehog and the little apples baby quilts are fabulous! Love them! Good luck with all that hand embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to say I love the color choice on the hand appliqued block at the start! I think you did a fantastic job on it!

    ReplyDelete